Back in January, I told you about a group of literary agents who are inviting Muslim writers to send in our work for consideration in light of Trump’s “Muslim ban.”
As the sponsors of this initiative put it, this open call for stories will “bring increased understanding, tolerance, empathy and compassion in the world. We are seeking out these unheard voices so that others can hear them.”
Whether you write picture books, romance, humor, horror, science fiction, YA, non-fiction, or something else, there is an agent awaiting your submission! Are you as excited as I am?
The full list of participating agents is on this page. Please take a look so that you understand what this initiative is about, what the requirements are, and what type of work each agent is seeking. Then come back here to browse the guidelines.
Before you approach any of the agents on the list, please make sure that you do the following:
- Visit the agency’s website in order to become acquainted with the type of work they represent.
- Read about the specific agent you are interested in approaching.
- Make sure you only approach agents who represent your genre. Although I am working to incorporate this information in the database of guidelines listed above, you should also consult this page. New agents are periodically added.
- Read the submission guidelines listed for each agency, and follow them carefully. Also become familiar with the art of querying.
- Notice the emphasis on reading. Read before you write! The first word revealed to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was “Iqraa (Read)!” Literary agents are typically flooded with submissions, and yet they have extended their hand to our community. Let’s make the most of this incredible opportunity!
Finally, please come back to leave a comment if you succeed in gaining representation for your work. You may also leave questions and comments below to discuss any aspect of this initiative, to ask advice of other writers, etc.
In the meantime, happy querying!
BROWSE AGENCY GUIDELINES
More Muslim-authored books:
Latest posts by Amel (see all)
- Want to See Your Name in Print? You’re Invited to Participate in a New Project! - July 6, 2017
- Q&A: Query Letter with Synopsis? - June 27, 2017
- Ramadan Youth Writing Prompt – Day 30: Planning Ahead - June 25, 2017